Tire Pressure - New Dodge Dart Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tire Pressure

Anyone with tire pressure issues?
I have a limited with polish wheels, on a colder morning (only 1900 miles) I got low tire pressure warning. I filled them up to what the dash recommended (42 I think) and off I went.
Less than a week later the pressure is back down to 37-36... approx 5 psi lost on each wheel in less than a week, hope this isn't a trend.
saiiab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default RE: Tire Pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiiab
I have a limited with polish wheels, on a colder morning (only 1900 miles) I got low tire pressure warning. I filled them up to what the dash recommended (42 I think) and off I went.
Less than a week later the pressure is back down to 37-36... approx 5 psi lost on each wheel in less than a week, hope this isn't a trend.
I could be wrong but I have always heard that a good tire pressure should be 33-34. I briefly recall my door might of said that as well. Don't know if with limited and polish wheels it's different. Depending on the traction rain sometimes it goes 3-4 lower. I think my car brand new was at 36 each after a week it went down averaging the 33-34.

I've never had the low tire pressure warning either.
ThEDaRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default Tire Pressure

Yeah 34 is usually the common pressure. Try seeing if it goes past that
Redsfan7035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

The tire should have a recommended and max tire pressure listed on it. Too much or too little drastically affects the wear and life of the tire. I have another TPS car and I get the Low pressure warning during the winter. Colder air is more dense and lowers the pressure. After a few miles, the air in the tire is heated and pressure goes up and shuts off the warning.
Socalest1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalest1977
The tire should have a recommended and max tire pressure listed on it. Too much or too little drastically affects the wear and life of the tire. I have another TPS car and I get the Low pressure warning during the winter. Colder air is more dense and lowers the pressure. After a few miles, the air in the tire is heated and pressure goes up and shuts off the warning.
That makes sense. On some colder nights whenever I make a quick startup from work it says the 29-30. As I drive 5 minutes into the ride it goes back to around 32-33.
ThEDaRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

There should be a sticker on the driver's door jam that lists what the recommended cold tire pressure should be.
RoadiJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lomalibu

i know when it got to 10 degrees here my car told me to fill to 34 psi. I now have to go out and deflate them cause i now have too much in. whoops.
lomalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiiab View Post
I had the same issue at around 1400 miles.. and filled them back up and I am around 1800 miles and they have levelled out. But if you stop every two weeks at a discount tire they will adjust air for free and you dont even have to get out of car.
OrangeCrush13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalest1977 View Post
I never knew that about tire pressure. good to know as it will save me the time from getting out in the cold and checking if it's actually right.

Some people recommend overfilling the air in your tires a bit in the winter when there's snow out for better control and underflating it a bit for summer for more grip. Is this right?
2ToneDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lomalibu

overfilling is never good in any condition. it actually reduces grip because less area is in contact with road.

underinflating will give more grip but for daily driving not worth losing the treadwear. only time i have done it is when I took my camaro to the track.
lomalibu is offline   Reply With Quote