2013 SRT Viper - New Dodge Dart Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 244
2013 SRT Viper

Am I the only one who thinks this thing is sweet. First viper I'd actually like to own.

All the reviews are coming out now. Sweet car.

cfrp is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 244
cfrp is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kenosha, WI
Posts: 539
I've been watching this ever since the prototype phase. I'm glad Dodge isn't doing anything with the Viper and SRT is. But this I feel is one car that will be put to rest pretty soon. :/




-jmoddes
00 Neon
65 Classic

Car\\Facebook\\My Lights
jmoddes is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 02:25 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoddes View Post
But this I feel is one car that will be put to rest pretty soon. :/
Sadly, I believe that's true. A $100k sports car that gets 12 mpg isn't exactly going to attract a lot of buyers in today's economy.

I have a '99 RT/10. I've owned it since 2006. I drive it occasionally when there's absolutely no chance of rain but it spends most of its time sitting in the garage. I get just about as much satisfaction from owning it and occasionally detailing it as I would hot-rodding down the road. I probably put less than 1,000 miles per year on it.
RoadiJeff is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Sadly, I believe that's true. A $100k sports car that gets 12 mpg isn't exactly going to attract a lot of buyers in today's economy.
They will sell every one they can make. The folks that can afford $100k don't care about fuel mileage and those folks are not impacted by the economy either. ZR1Corvettes go for $130k and don't do any better on gas mileage There is a waiting list to buy them.

Vipers, ZR1 Corvettes, Shelby Mustang GT500 KRs aren't about sales numbers anyway, they are to create brand excitement and showroom traffic.

Last edited by dgc333; 11-23-2012 at 12:35 PM.
dgc333 is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 59
I love it, it's what the Viper should of been in previous years. The interior was a huge improvement....it looks like something from out of a Ferrari. The seats come from the same manufacture that makes seats for Ferrari.

Now I think the battle will be SRT Viper vs Nissan GT-R
boosted is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
They will sell every one they can make. The folks that can afford $100k don't care about fuel mileage and those folks are not impacted by the economy either. ZR1Corvettes go for $130k and don't do any better on gas mileage There is a waiting list to buy them.
Unlike the Viper, a 2013 Vette has an MSRP of less than $50k, depending on the model. The Viper needs a bit more variety and a handful of wealthy enthusiasts cannot generate enough sales to justify the expense of keeping the brand going for very long at the expense of taking R&D money away from other products in the company.
RoadiJeff is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 09:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Unlike the Viper, a 2013 Vette has an MSRP of less than $50k, depending on the model. The Viper needs a bit more variety and a handful of wealthy enthusiasts cannot generate enough sales to justify the expense of keeping the brand going for very long at the expense of taking R&D money away from other products in the company.
Believing this will be a car sold a ton of markets around the world I don't think the cost of the Viper will be an issue. Yes the whole corporation is taking a big hit by spending tons of money R&D'ing this car but it will pay off in the long run. Plus the brand has cars like the Fiat 500, Caravan & Charger which are used commercially (police, taxi, etc)

We'll see where Dodge's future goes.
Mopar is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:41 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
Unlike the Viper, a 2013 Vette has an MSRP of less than $50k, depending on the model. The Viper needs a bit more variety and a handful of wealthy enthusiasts cannot generate enough sales to justify the expense of keeping the brand going for very long at the expense of taking R&D money away from other products in the company.
The Viper is about marketing not making money, the cost of Viper development is a fraction of the overall Chrysler marketing budget.
It's first appeared in 1992 and has always been a low volume extremely expensive for the time vehicle. The wealthy enthusiasts have snapped up all the production for 20 years and there is no reason not to expect it to continue.

BTW, with the exception of the mini van and Jeep the Viper has had the longest production run of any model from Chrysler.

I would say the biggest threat to the continuance of cars like the Viper is being legislated out of existence.
dgc333 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgc333 View Post
The Viper is about marketing not making money, the cost of Viper development is a fraction of the overall Chrysler marketing budget.
It's first appeared in 1992 and has always been a low volume extremely expensive for the time vehicle. The wealthy enthusiasts have snapped up all the production for 20 years and there is no reason not to expect it to continue.

BTW, with the exception of the mini van and Jeep the Viper has had the longest production run of any model from Chrysler.

I would say the biggest threat to the continuance of cars like the Viper is being legislated out of existence.
I don't think the Viper will ever die, even as we enter the world of hybrids, electrics and cars possibly to be run on alternative fuels. The day might come that we get a SRT Viper that's all-electric.

Every car maker needs a flagship vehicle and this is it for Dodge.
Mopar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the New Dodge Dart Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Viper logo revealed steellittledude The Dodge Lounge 2 05-29-2012 12:26 AM
SRT Viper ThEDaRt Off Topic 5 05-18-2012 03:05 PM
Dodge Challenger to become Barracuda and join Viper at the SRT brand in 2014 Wimbledon The Dodge Lounge 4 02-02-2012 01:03 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome