40 MPG? Should We Be Skeptical? - Page 6 - New Dodge Dart Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 06:42 PM

First unless the Neon was an SRT4 it had a 2.0l engine. The PT turbo has a 2.4l engine. Also, the PT weight close to 500 lbs more than a Neon. All these things plus the additional 75 HP of the PT conspired to give you the lower mileage. I currently own an 03 PT GT which typically gets about 27 mpg on the hiway and 22-23 around town in a suburban environment. It was easy to drop the mileage below 20 with aggressive driving but if you want to play you have to pay.

The Dart with the 1.4l turbo and manual transmission has the best mileage rating of the three engines offered in the Dart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-10-2013, 06:40 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to lomalibu
the turbo engine gets better milage than the non-turbos. leave it to fiat to engineer that. So if you want the best mpg's the turbo is the way to go.

I always downshift when I'm near a Prius so they can hear me hurting the environment!

post #53 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 05:39 PM

Took my Dart from Jim Thorpe, Pa to Dayton, Oh and back. Got 39mpg on way out and 44mpg on way back. You can beat 40mpg if you keep a light foot.

post #54 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairbob View Post
being new tot he site and just now looking at the dart can anyone tell me the best engine to get for economy? i see the dual clutch transmission is a good option for me being i don't like to manually shift but i'm a bit concerned about the turbo. we had a pt cruiser and that turbo used a ton of gas. that pt got 19 mpg i was shocked after we got it to see we went from almost 30 mpg in the neon down to 19 in the pt. some said the turbo caused that. so has anyone had experience with the 1-4 engine turbo combination? i have read that if you keep the turbo engaged it will eat up gas, but how do you not keep it engaged?
Light throttle demand will run the engine without any turbo boost.
And yes the turbo is always spinning, but when there is light demand the ecm dumps the extra air.
post #55 of 57 (permalink) Old 11-14-2014, 10:29 PM

My wife and I have a 2013 Dart Aero 1.4L.DDCT with 31000 miles. My wife commutes 15 miles over rolling hills in eastern Nebraska and normally gets 38-39 mpg. When we travel longer distances 40-41 mpg is common,a one time high of 45 mpg (honest, no BS) with a tailwind. We both drive within 5% of the posted speed limit.BTW we have nothing but praise for this car,unlike numerous others I've read.Guess we got a good one.
post #56 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 AM

I have a 2013 and my son has a 2014. I think something may be wrong with both of these cars. My son travels all interstate to work and back each day using cruise control. He sets cruise at 67 and only gets 27 mpg highway. I only get between 25 and 30 on mine with mostly highway driving. My old car which I traded in was a 1999 and that car got 27 to 30 driving the same distance, route and speed. Seems I traded down on gas mileage when I got the dart. My advise don't buy the Dart if you think you are going to get great gas mileage. And also don't go by what the cars computer tells you are getting for gas mileage. Check it the right way. My Dart always says I am getting 6.5 to 8 miles per gallon better then I am actually getting.
post #57 of 57 (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 AM

don't feel to bad i have a Hyundai sonata hybrid that was said to get 42 mpg highway and only got 22 highway the auto makers are in a pissing contest now trying to get people into there cars by over stating the mpg. it seems that the last 4 to 5 years now that car buyers want economy and the car makers are behind getting it so they over state the actual mileage. what need to happen is they get fined bad if there cars fail to get what they say. now i realize that if you drive 75 or more and spin the tires at takeoff and what not your going to get worse that expected, but i drove for mileage and my s10 truck got better that the hybrid got. that is not right at all being i paid for the hybred cost more got less. and on the hybrid forums all the new owners complained, so it was not just me.
go to fuelly next time your shopping and see what other drivers are averaging with the kind of car your looking to get.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Dodge Dart Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page