40 MPG? Should We Be Skeptical? - New Dodge Dart Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

40 MPG? Should We Be Skeptical?

So, just reading automotive articles on the interwebz when this one caught my eye:

http://www.insideline.com/dodge/dart/2013/2013-dodge-dart-aero-tops-40-mpg.html

This article states that Chrysler says the Dart can achieve 40 mpg.

However when checking fueleconomy.gov, it states that the max mpg the Dart can achieve on the highway is 39mpg?

While this is still a good number, is it possible to attain 40mpg in the new Dart?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

RE: 40 MPG? Should We Be Skeptical?

The Dart Aero is slated to be rated at 41mpg hwy per the EPA. Not all the Dart configurations are on the fueleconomy.gov website.

That aside, you can achieve well over 40mpg in the new Dart. How do I know this? I have an eclipse rated at 30mpg highway, and I've driven 684 miles on 14 gallons. You do the math. You wont have to work nearly as hard in the Dart to achieve 40mpg, but it's mostly how you drive. Cruise control in the 39mpg rated Dart at 55mph should net you 46+mpg on the highway.
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

well high way of course. shoot it on cruise with you going a speed of the limit, maybe a bit more.. but have lower RPMs and you won't burn as much fuel as quick. with my driving, i'll be doing 28 city i'm guessing. that is what i'm getting highway right now so i'll take it.

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusBringIt
The Dart Aero is slated to be rated at 41mpg hwy per the EPA. Not all the Dart configurations are on the fueleconomy.gov website.

That aside, you can achieve well over 40mpg in the new Dart. How do I know this? I have an eclipse rated at 30mpg highway, and I've driven 684 miles on 14 gallons. You do the math. You wont have to work nearly as hard in the Dart to achieve 40mpg, but it's mostly how you drive. Cruise control in the 39mpg rated Dart at 55mph should net you 46+mpg on the highway.
This! I know several people with Chevy Cruzes' and they get over 50mpg on a regular basis. They're rated at 42mpg.

I'm sure we'll see a few Darts get over 50 too.... I wouldn't be surprised
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-27-2012, 10:54 PM

i thought my old honda was good at 38 mpg! looking forward to having more power and more MPG in my daily driver!

Current Stable:
2009 Challenger R/T 6 speed
1973 Road Runner w/ 340 4bbl
1990 Honda Civic 5 speed (autox\'er)

Hope to add a 2013 Dart Rallye 1.4 6 speed to be my next daily driver!
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 AM

40 MPG? Should We Be Skeptical?

We have a 2012 Focus that is rated at 38 mpg hiway and we get 41.5 to 42.5 on the hiway with the cruise set to 69 mph. It will do better if I slow down.

In suburban around town driving we routinely get 34.5 to 35.5 mpg. And in 15K miles we have never seen a tank average below 30.

The Focus has a 2l 4 with DCT transmission. I would think the the Dart 2l should be able to get the same numbers and the 1.4 better on the hiway and not quite as good around town.
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 PM

Its all about how you drive and the conditions in which you drive lol.

My CSRT is rated at 28-29MPGs highway and I consistently get 30+ on long road trips and average around 27 mixed driving.

I am interested in some real world numbers from actual owners though...seeing as I put crazy amounts of miles on my car high fuel economy would be nice.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-31-2012, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI

My CSRT is rated at 28-29MPGs highway and I consistently get 30+ on long road trips and average around 27 mixed driving.

I am interested in some real world numbers from actual owners though...seeing as I put crazy amounts of miles on my car high fuel economy would be nice.
I mentioned this in another thread as well. I took a trip out to the west side of Michigan (from Detroit) this past weekend and got 36.5mpg. Now that I'm over 1000 miles, I'll see how things go this coming weekend when I head to Mid-Ohio. I'll report back
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onederlnd
Quote:

I mentioned this in another thread as well. I took a trip out to the west side of Michigan (from Detroit) this past weekend and got 36.5mpg. Now that I'm over 1000 miles, I'll see how things go this coming weekend when I head to Mid-Ohio. I'll report back
36.5 is respectable since its rated at what 38?

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by onederlnd
Quote:

36.5 is respectable since its rated at what 38?

Have any of you looked on youtube? Theres a clip of a guy in the 1.4 turbo manuel on the highway cruising at 80mph. it showed 43.7 mpg on the display

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the New Dodge Dart Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page